PHA National Conference 2012
The 2012 Private Healthcare Australia National Conference – Private Healthcare: Better Value, was held on the 14-15 November 2012, Park Hyatt in Melbourne.
The year 2012 was a particularly significant one for the Private Health Insurance Industry. We have had legislative issues with which to deal; the community had been severely impacted by economic realities, affecting their discretionary expenditure; demand for health services continues to climb; and Australia’s population continues to age.
The Annual Conference of Private Healthcare Australia was an ideal opportunity for delegates to gain insight into how to best tackle these problems, and to consider, share and debate with their peers possible solutions.
The Conference was the perfect event for industry leaders and managers, policy and product developers, government officials, health agencies, and those involved with health data and finance.
Both the Minister and the Shadow Minister for Health were invited to address the Conference, and with the political circumstances being as unpredictable as they are, it was a fascinating opportunity to hear first-hand their proposed directions for our Industry into the future.
The Conference was also addressed by International Speakers of the highest calibre, in areas of critical importance to the Industry such as Fraud prevention; Quality care; Business issues; Cost control; and the nuances of the World Economy. Speakers included:
- Sir Andrew Dillon, National Institute for Health and Clinical Experience, UK
- Evan Falchuk, Best Doctors, USA, named a ‘Solutions Superstar’ by CDHC Health Solutions
- Scott Haslem, Managing Director and Chief Economist, UBS, Australia
- Niki Savva, political correspondent, press secretary and adviser
- Professor Malcolm Sparrow, Harvard University, USA and author of License to Steal: how Fraud Bleeds America’s Health Care System