Private Health Insurance Membership – December 201219 February 2013
As at 31 December 2012, the number of insured persons with hospital cover was 10,710,319 and the number of insured persons with general treatment cover was 12,474,342.
A total of 12,486,627 persons held some form of private health insurance.
The proportion of the Australian population with hospital cover was 46.9%, with 54.6% of the Australian population having general treatment cover, and overall private health insurance coverage of the Australian population being 54.6%.
Selected statistics from the data presented in this publication on private health insurance membership are presented below.
For the quarter ending 31 December 2012:
• The number of insured persons increased from the previous quarter from 12,426,508 to 12,486,627 (+0.5%) for all cover, increased from 10,670,956 to 10,710,319 (+0.4%) for hospital cover and increased from 12,414,382 to 12,474,342 (+0.5%) for general treatment cover during the same period.
• The proportion of the Australian population with private health insurance increased to 54.6% for the quarter ending 31 December 2012. The proportion of the population with hospital cover decreased by 0.0% to 46.9%, and the proportion of the population with general treatment cover increased to 54.6% during the same period.
• The number of insured persons aged over 65 was 1.65 million representing 15.4% of the insured population, and 50.1% of the Australian population aged over 65. This was an increase from the previous quarter of 26,560 insured persons.
• As at December 2012, 1,086,466 insured persons were paying a Lifetime Health Cover loading, an increase from September 2012 of 0.8%.
• The average age of insured persons with hospital cover was 40.4. For insured persons with general treatment cover, the average age was 38.6.
• The age cohort with the greatest annual increase in insured persons was those aged 85-89, with an increase of 9.1%. The age cohort with the lowest annual increase was those aged 45-49, with an increase of 0.2%.
• Membership across all age cohorts increased in the year ending December 2012 when compared to the year ending December 2011.