Over 11.7 million Australians are covered by private health insurance.
It is a myth that Private Health Insurance is for the rich.
Of the 10 million Australians with Hospital Cover:
- 5.6 million people with private hospital cover live in households with a total annual income of $50,000 or less
- 3.4 million people with private hospital cover live in households with a total annual income of $35,000 or less
(Source Australian Bureau of Statistics and Australian Taxation Office)
Since the 30% Rebate was introduced in 1999 total benefits paid on behalf of Australians with Health Insurance by Private Health Funds to healthcare providers (including Hospitals and Doctors) have increased by 199%. This includes:
- a 498% increase in benefits paid for prostheses;
- a 514% increase in specialist costs; and
- a 207% increase in total hospital benefits paid.
During Year Ending December 2010 benefits paid by Private Health Funds increased by:
- 6.3% for public hospitals;
- 8.8% for acute private hospitals;
- 6.4% for day hospital facilities;
- 7.7% for medical benefits;
- 8.6% for listed prostheses; and
- 8.1% for total hospital benefits.